When individuals experience gum problems of any kind, it is imperative that they visit a family dentist for a thorough cleaning and possibly treatment. Gum concerns, even mild ones, are likely indicative of gum disease, the number-one cause of tooth loss in adults. Unfortunately, it often goes unnoticed in the early stages, and by the…
A Kid Friendly Dentist Can Help With Protection for Your Child’s Teeth
Every parent wants to make sure their children are comfortable in the dentist’s chair at the earliest age, and a kid-friendly dentist is a must-have. The fear of going to the dentist is very real. People of all ages fear the dentist.
The dentist’s office has caused anxiety and stress to patients everywhere. Nobody wants to visit the dentist for even their routine check-ups, and children are no different.
Children can be terrified when they see the big chair and the shiny tools and equipment around their dentist’s office. Many dentists want to ease a child’s fears and try to make the entire experience of the first visit as positive as it can be.
Why should you choose a child-friendly dentist?
A dentist that enjoys working with children is by far the best option when scheduling your child’s first dental visit. This type of dentist would not have chosen pediatrics if they didn’t have a love for children. They understand more than anyone how important going to the dentist is for overall health. Additionally, when a child sees that their peers are also receiving dental care, it helps to normalize their experience. This is especially true when they see that the other children are not fearful of their appointments.
A kid-friendly dentist has the skills and abilities that are key to ensuring every child views a dental check-up as a positive and happy experience.
Children will know from the moment they walk into the office that they are in a fun environment, and any fears or anxieties will be forgotten. Dental offices set up for children utilize a variety of tools to help alleviate concerns and inspire more fun into their visits.
How to help children overcome the fear of the dentist
- Explain everything to the child before you arrive at the dentist. Fear of the unknown is a very real issue. The more each child knows about what to expect at the dentist, the less anxious they will be.
- If a child has a favorite toy, blanket, or anything that comforts them; make sure to bring it along to their appointment. This will give them added security.
- Always use simple words and never say things like pain or hurt. Promote positivity every step of the way.
- Have a dentist ask the child some questions about their favorite toys or television shows during the examination. Ask them to hold things and encourage them to ask questions. This will help take their mind off what is happening.
- As a parent, please be sure to stay calm and nurturing throughout the entire visit. A child looks to their parent for guidance and security, and if the parent is calm, they will be calm.
- Avoid negative dental experiences. If a child has a poor experience at the dentist, it can be important to work closely with a child to identify things that would have made the visit more enjoyable. If the dentist cannot accomodate some of a child's needs, it may be time to find another dentist, particularly one who understands the importance of working with children.
Children tend to adapt to their surroundings. They are very impressionable, and their environment goes a long way in influencing their actions. If children see their parents interacting positively with their dental team, and also receiving their own dental care, it can help to reassure each child that the dentist is not something that should be feared.
Make the dentist fun
Every child should be taught early on how important the dentist is in their health, and this should be a fun topic in each household. Relate fun experiences about your dental check-ups. Make a child want to go to the dentist. A kid-friendly dentist is one of the best ways to ensure your child gets on the right track to a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
The importance of establishing an early dental routine
Dental care is a critical component of a healthy body throughout everybody's lives. Establishing a proper dental care routine at an early age can help establish the habits that help each person maintain a happy and healthy smile throughout their lives. Improving the perception and ensuring that you eliminate negative dental associations from a child can ensure that they will seek dental care when they need it rather than waiting until problems become too painful to bear. Catching issues early can help lead to minimally invasive procedures to help stop tooth decay before it is an issue.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Kid Friendly Dentist in Temple, TX.
A family dentist is an excellent choice for many people. This professional is trained to diagnose and treat common dental conditions in patients of all ages so that an entire family can visit the same dentist. That makes it easy for busy households to schedule routine care and preventative treatments. Patients should always work with…
A natural mineral found in teeth, fluoride is a treatment frequently recommended by a family dentist. Fluoride helps prevent cavities, keeps teeth strong, and has been part of healthy oral hygiene for many years. This mineral has an incredible impact on the enamel of the teeth, the hard protective layer around the nerves. It also…
For those tired of making numerous trips to different offices for dental care for the whole family, it may be time to make the switch to a family dentist. Unlike general dentistry where services are focused on a particular age group, family dentistry provides oral care for people of different age ranges in a family.For…